Friday, June 27, 2014

Summer: Eat Simple and Bright





It's that time. Full on summer, where the mere idea of cooking feels like too much. Keep a Negroni or Last Word close, and throw fresh ingredients together. That's the speed of summer. And so happens to be the theme of my latest at Anthology

I thought, for this time around, why not share a few favorite go-to's as summer's heat bears down on us all? Side note: I just traveled to New Orleans for a travel story, my first time. 1. Why the hell haven't I been there before?? It was amazing. 2. Holy Mother of God, it is hot there….. Anyway, summer is hot and we want to eat delicious things that don't keep us chained to the stove. Right? 

I happened to have a refrigerator full of fresh produce from my CSA with Harvest Roots Farm and my good friends at Sanctuary Farms, and another friend leaving town for a few days said, "have at my veg patch 'cause it's just going to go to waste"…. Why go crazy in this heat for a story, when the one that needed to be created was right in front of me?

Here are three amazing salads that will have you and your guests smiling. Maybe gushing. See the whole story, with recipes, here.










Broiled peach and butter lettuce salad with sheep's cheese toasts and toasted almonds - bright, juicy, crunchy, and every bit the epitome of summer.

My riff on the Niçoise - briny, sharp, crunchy, creamy, buttery, peppery - a savory lover's paradise.

Wilted chard and prosciutto with toasted pine nuts - soft and velvety, salty, tangy, buttery, crunchy - as simple as it gets.

Which one suits you?

Also! If you haven't seen it yet, this week's New York Times features my couscous-inspired paella…. (I did some cooking after all) Ridiculously photogenic and delicious. Here it is, as well as a few outtakes -



I just completed a massive load of photo edits for some recent projects. Very excited to see what the editors choose, forming the shape of each story. Next week brings a new, ambitious project, shooting one of the pioneer chefs (and his delectable food) here in the South….  

Stay tuned!


1 comment:

  1. Ugh! Your food styling is just amazing. x

    ReplyDelete